My Photo
Location: California, United States

I am a neolibertarian minded individual who feels that freedom and individual rights take precedence over the wants of government. I believe government exists to serve the people and not to protect us from ourselves. I am an advocate for private firearms ownership, smaller government, reduced taxes and freedom to live your life however you choose, providing you do not directly hurt others.

Add to Google ReaderAdd to Bloglines
Add to FeedloungeAdd to Technorati
Add to netvibesAdd to My Yahoo
Add to My MSNAdd to Rojo
Add to NewsgatorAdd to My AOL
Subscribe to FeedAdd to Windows Live

Blogroll Me! Libertarian Party (National) Libertarian Party of CA Constitution Party

Declaration of Independence

The U.S. Constitution

Bill of Rights

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms Report

2004 US DOJ Report Affirming 2nd Amendment Secures Right of Individuals

The Community for Life, Liberty and Property

The Life, Liberty, Property Blogroll


Homespun Bloggers Blogroll


American Flag League Blogroll

Blogs For Borders Blogroll

Screw the UN

Blogs That Link Here

Blogwise - blog directory Bloguniverse - blog directory

Haloscan -Comment Tools

Support this site by ordering great liberty themed books, movies and more! If you can't find what you want, click on the "Powered by Amazon" link in the lower right corner of my store and I'll get a referral fee for your purchases. You can also click this link to go directly to and have your purchases support this site.

Clicking on an item in these menus will take you to an article with that same title.

Self Defense/Foiled Crimes

Illegal Immigration Issues

Firearms/Ban Related Issues

Privacy Related Issues

Open the menu below and select a month and year to view archived posts for that month.

If you enjoy reading, you really must get one of these. I carry mine with me all of the time and read at least 5 books per month on it.

A Feast For Crows
This latest installment of Gearge R. R. Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series isn't quite as gripping as the previous books but is still a pretty good read.

Book 10 in the Sword of Truth series continues to keep the reader riveted while repeatedly emphasizing the duty and importance of self defense.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
A follow up to Guns, Germs, and Steel that explains the geographic, environmental and socio-economic reasons that can cause civilizations and communities to collapse.

Mara Belly Dance Lessons Krav Maga Belly Dance
Return to p.i.e.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Defensive Firearms for Beginners

I found John Ross' article in the title link to be a helpful treatise for those who are new to shooting and who would like to acquire some defensive shooting skills.

Here are some quotes:

In over 20 years of self-defense firearms training, I have come to believe that proper mindset is the single most important component of the equation, and also the most difficult to teach. It seems that most people who have it have always had it, perhaps since birth. It requires an instinctive assumption that one’s own life and health, and that of his/her family, are of overwhelming importance.


A depressing number of people, including whole police departments, think they can accessorize themselves to competence. It doesn’t work that way. Buying the gun is like identifying that your company or household has a cash flow problem: It’s 1% of the solution. Practice, like increasing earnings and/or reducing expenses, is the other 99%.


Diligent practice is necessary for several reasons. The most important one, much more so than absolute pinpoint accuracy, is to acquire familiarity to the point of instinct. If you are shooting for several hours every week or month, you will get to the point where you don’t have to think about how to hold the gun, how to align the sights, how to disengage the safety, how to breathe, and how to squeeze the trigger. It will become automatic.


Find someone who is known as a competent and safe shooter to help you get started and keep you from learning bad habits, like putting your finger in the triggerguard when you pick up the gun. Call the local NRA office for a list of certified instructors.

For those of you who are thinking about acquiring defensive shooting skills as part of your own disaster preparedness and personal safety, I strongly encourage you to click on the title link and read the full article. I would also like to re-emphasize the part about getting some guidance from a skilled shooting instructor. They don't cost very much, but they will help keep you safe, and will also be tremendously helpful in building good habits that lead to accuracy and speed.



<< Home